Thursday 28 July 2011

Matt Zarandi




Whilst I always showed a keen interest in graphic design throughout my early years, I initially studied Law at university. I completed the course, obtained a degree, but then decided to have an early career change and move into graphics. Not the most direct routes I could have taken, however it makes a great talking point!

My Graphic Communication degree, undertaken at Wolverhampton University is a time I will look back on with fond memories. The staff and students were great but most of all, and probably most importantly, so was the course. I always find through speaking with others who have studied graphic design elsewhere, that this course gave students a greater depth of education. 

I initially started my career working within e-commerce in the retail sector whilst also studying at university. I was based in Wolverhampton for four years before moving to London to take on my current role as Digital Designer for The Football Association… my dream job!

My role consists of creating digital assets across The FA and Wembley Stadium whilst also having a responsibility in maintaining the appearance of the organization in this environment. I therefore get to work on plenty of exciting projects such as the current redesign of TheFA.com and motion videos to be played on the Wembley big screen during England matches.

The technical learning curve is exponential and certainly a challenge that I love as working for such a high profile organization requires me to always stay ahead of the game whilst always keeping an eye on the latest technologies that are coming around the corner.

I feel very privileged to be in the position I am and to be able to combine my favourite sport and hobby into my work life. Everyday when I get off the train and out of Wembley Park station, I have to pinch myself as I see the enormous Wembley arch spanning the horizon which always fills me with excitement for what lies ahead!

Whilst the design industry is very competitive and tough to break into, if you know what you want and are willing to go out there and get it, then anything is achievable. It also helps to have a good starting point which the University of Wolverhampton certainly gives!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Working for organisations with a connection with professional sport, seems to be a popular career path for Wolverhampton graphics graduates. Also see:

No comments:

Post a Comment